In 1917, property owners in northern Multnomah County formed Drainage Districts to control Columbia River flooding and remove storm-water from their land. Four Drainage Districts were formed along the south shore of the Columbia. They extend from the west of Heron Lakes Golf Course to the Sandy River on the east.
The Four Districts:
Peninsula Drainage District No. 1 (PEN 1)
Peninsula Drainage District No. 2 (PEN 2)
Multnomah County Drainage District No. 1 (MCDD)
Sandy Drainage Improvement Company (SDIC)
Operating under federal guidelines, state statues, and local regulation, the Districts’ responsibilities have grown in scope and complexity over the years. By using a proactive approach to manage change, the Districts have earned landowner respect and received regional and national recognition.
Peninsula Drainage District No. 1 is the Western most of the Drainage Districts, extending from the west of Heron Lakes Golf Course to I-5 on the east. The District’s area is 80% public land including the Portland Expo Center, Portland International Raceway and Heron Lakes Golf Course. Small, vibrant businesses make up the other 20%.
Peninsula Drainage District No. 2 extends from I-5 on the west to the Peninsula Drainage Canal on the east. Developments inside the District include Columbia Edgewater Country Club, Delta Park, Portland Meadows, Jubitz Truck Center and other large trucking companies, Fed-EX, and Freightliner. Residential areas make up 35% of the District's area.
|Multnomah County Drainage District No. 1 runs along the south shore of the Columbia River, between the Peninsula Drainage Canal on the west to 223rd on the east. The District includes Portland International Airport, the City of Portland well fields, the Industrial Sanctuary, residential areas around Blue and Fairview Lakes, many natural areas and is within the boundaries of the Cities of Portland, Gresham and Fairview. The Columbia Slough has become an urban natural resource.|
|Sandy Drainage Improvement Company extends from 223rd on the west to the Sandy River on the east. The District contains many small to medium-sized businesses and the Troutdale Airport. It has over 800 acres of undeveloped vacant land. Jurisdictions include the cities of Troutdale and Fairview.|
In 1997 the four Districts entered into service and management agreements that today allow a 14 person staff to perform planning, maintenance, construction, finance and administrative functions for all four Districts. Each District remains politically independent, and has a separate Board of Supervisors or Directors elected by property owners within the District. This unique management structure allows the Districts to provide more efficient and cost-effective services to District landowners. The savings have been significant and were recognized in 2007 when the District received the Special District Association of Oregon Outstanding Program Award.